When Cubit Estimating is installed there is also another program called PostgreSQL that gets installed alongside it. This program controls the Cubit Estimating database. If you have been using a 32-bit device and are moving to a newer 64-bit device there are some items that will need to be completed to ensure that the software is installed correctly.
Determine what version of Cubit Estimating you are running
1. To find out what bit version of Cubit Estimating you are running you can do this through your computer's control panel. Click on your Windows Start Menu and start typing to search for Control Panel.
Fig 1. Control Panel
2. From here a new window will open. In this window click on Uninstall a Program under the Programs heading.
Fig 2. Programs
3. In this window you will find a list of programs that are installed on your device. In this list, you will find Cubit Estimating and PostgreSQL. Using the below table for reference you can determine what versions are installed on your device.
Windows version has been updated to 64-bit
If Windows has been updated from a 32 bit to a 64-bit device, Cubit Estimating should still function. However, it will be installed and running as a 32-bit version.
Note: Cubit Estimating will only use up to 4GB of RAM (Due to the nature of 32-bit software), so you may experience memory issues when using the software.
To install the 64-bit software you will need to uninstall the 32-bit software. If you attempt to install 64-bit over the top of 32-bit you’ll be presented with the following error message.
Fig 3. 32bit version of Cubit alert
Backup your Cubit Estimating data prior to uninstalling
Before installing the software you will need to backup your job data. This can be done via one of two methods which are documented below:
Uninstalling the 32-bit software
Once you have a backup of your jobs you will need to uninstall the 32-bit version of Cubit Estimating. It is also recommended to remove the 32-bit version of the database management program called PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL controls and manages Cubit Estimating’s database.
To uninstall Cubit Estimating, please do the following:
1. Click on your Windows Start Menu and start typing to search for Control Panel. From here a new window will open.
2. In this window click on Uninstall a Program under the Programs heading.
3. You will find a list of programs that are installed on your device. Locate the program named Cubit Estimating (x86) from the list and click Uninstall.
4. Locate the program named Postgresql (x86) and click Uninstall.
Once the 2 software have been uninstalled there are a few additional steps required to ensure that the software is completely uninstalled.
5.There will be a folder left over by PostgreSQL which will need to be deleted. This folder can be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Postgresql. Delete the Postgresql folder completely.
6. Restart your device to complete the uninstallation.
Installing the 64-bit software
After the device has been restarted you can install the 64-bit version of the software.
Note: Installation Guides can be found here:
Restoring Cubit Estimating data
Once the software has been reinstalled as a 64-bit version you will need to restore your data before you can continue to use Cubit Estimating. How you restore your data depends on the type of backup you generated. Data can be restored in 2 ways: